Horses are built for the wild, but thrive with proper shelter
Modern horses (belonging to the genus Equus) have been trotting the earth for over 3 million years. Any animals that have been around that long certainly know how to live in the wild! But while equines are built to withstand many of nature’s extremes, domesticated horses really thrive best in situations where reliable shelter is made available. Horses are perfectly content to roam the fields and pastures for hours on end. But they really appreciate having somewhere to stable overnight or anytime they’re not being called upon to put in work.
And just as having the right horse barns, hay barns, and tack barns is essential for proper domesticated horse care, having the right riding arena is also important when it’s time for training or putting on a show. Naturally, horses can be ridden or shown outdoors in uncovered pens and corrals, but one issue with that is you never really know what the weather’s going to do. And if you’re planning on hosting many spectators, you’re much better off planning for a facility which also factors in human comfort. To that end, a rugged, well-apportioned riding arena is really the best way to go.
Metal riding arenas: two popular designs
So, what type of horse riding arena is best for you? When it comes to riding arena buildings, you’ve really got two primary options: an open-air covered arena, and a fully-enclosed indoor arena.
- Covered riding arena : A covered riding arena is a great option if you’re looking for roof-only protection, while still allowing for open-air circulation underneath. One caveat to a roof-only shelter is that it can still get pretty warm on hot summer days, and pretty chilly on a cold winter’s day. One advantage worth noting: an open-air covered arena is cheaper to build than an enclosed facility.
- Indoor riding arena : Looking to create a fully-enclosed experience for your horses, riders, and spectators? In that case, an indoor riding arena is your best solution. Because it’s fully enclosed, it can also be fully insulated, finished, and climate controlled for optimal comfort. And with steel tube framing, an indoor riding arena can be constructed to whatever building dimensions you may require.
What makes a steel riding arena better
What’s there to like about a steel-framed, steel-covered riding arena? Plenty, especially if you choose to partner with a quality custom building provider like Carport Central. Here are just a few reasons why deciding to purchase a steel riding arena makes good sense:
- Structural strength — Protecting animals, riders, and spectators is paramount. A steel structure won’t rot like a wooden structure, and it’s basically impervious to moisture threats. Steel tubing is the strongest commercially-available framing material, and is built to withstand the tests of time, weathering, and regular usage.
- Clear span space — Riding arenas require lots of open interior space, and a clear-span metal building is able to provide it. Without any need for internal support posts or columns, a steel-framed riding arena is ideal for training and showing horses.
- Customizable design — Another nice feature of a custom metal building is that it can be constructed to your exact specifications. You choose the building dimensions and customizations that will work best for you, and Carport Central will come alongside to make it happen.
- Easier to expand — As your horse farm or business grows, your building space needs might grow too. And a custom steel structure is easier to expand or adapt than a structure built with other materials.
- Simple to maintain — Steel doesn’t crack or warp, and doesn’t require any painting or patching. Steel buildings are also much easier to clean than wood-framed structures.
Customize your metal riding arena
Many people might assume that there’s not much you can do to customize a metal building … but they assume wrong. There are actually many ways you can personalize the look and functionality of a steel riding arena, so you can get exactly what you need in an equine facility.
- Size & style – How big of a building do you want? How big of a building do you really need? With Carport Central, you get to decide the width, length, and height of your structure. You choose the look of your building too, ranging from a continuous roof approach to a more barn-like stepdown roof design. Got some special design considerations? We can help with those, too.
- Steel gauge options – Many smaller barns are framed with 14-gauge steel tubing, but a thicker 12-gauge usually works better for a larger riding arena, especially for Risk Cat II considerations. You’ve got options in terms of the thickness of steel you want to use for your roofing and side paneling, too. A thicker gauge does cost a little more, but it also provides for more reliable structural integrity.
- Doors, windows, & frame outs – What types of access points does your indoor riding arena need for people, horses, and vehicles? We offer a variety of frame-outs, roll-up doors, walk-in doors, and windows, and you get to decide exactly where you want to place them in your building.
- Color choices – Who says a metal building has to look boring? You can go with a popular barn red, or you can choose from a full palette of colors for your roof, side paneling, and trim. We even offer a two-tone wainscot if you prefer.
- Anchors for various foundations – Certain types of construction require poured foundations, but you aren’t limited to that with a steel riding arena. There are anchors available to secure your new building to practically any foundation surface, ranging from concrete, to asphalt, to gravel, to plain level ground.
Ways to use your metal riding arena
How can you use a metal riding arena? There are some obvious uses, but there are lots of creative applications, as well. You can honestly use one of these custom steel structures any way you want.
- Horse shows – One of the most common uses for a metal riding arena is as a place to showcase your horses.
- Riding competitions & rodeos – Of course, it’s not just about the animals. It’s also about featuring the skills of the riders, including barrel racing, jumping, bronco busting, and other rodeo events.
- Horse training facility – Horses are smart, but they don’t train themselves. Outdoor training is great, but sometimes the weather doesn’t cooperate. With a covered riding arena or indoor riding arena, you can continue training your horses without missing a beat.
- Riding lessons – Part of the joy of being around horses is being able to pass your riding skills along to others. With a metal riding arena, you can offer riding lessons anytime, rain or shine.
- Boarding facility – You can add some interior stable space for boarding, too. You can even set aside some space for human lodging quarters. Like we said, there’s really no limit to the possibilities with a large, custom metal building!
Steel riding arena prices
So, how much will a steel riding arena cost? The answer will depend upon several key factors, starting with the specific building dimensions (width, length, and height) you choose. The customizations you decide to include in your building will also help to determine the price.
For example, an indoor riding arena will cost more than a covered shelter arena, as side paneling and entrances will need to be included. Other customizations like upgraded steel gauge, optional trim features, wind and snow load certification, installation location, etc. will also play a role in the final pricing.
But no matter which type of steel riding arena you go with, the good news is that a custom metal structure from Carport Central is still one of the most cost-effective building solutions around. If getting the most bang for your riding arena buck is important to you, then choosing a steel structure really is the best way to go.
You can install your own steel riding arena kit
Here’s another good reason to choose to partner with Carport Central. We’re happy to deliver and install your custom-designed metal riding arena at NO extra cost with your building purchase. But if you’re someone who likes to save a little money by doing things yourself whenever possible, we can help you there too. We also make custom DIY metal building kits available. The quality of the building components meets the same standards as if we were installing the building for you; the only difference is that you can pick up your own custom-manufactured metal building kit and install it yourself for a discount. Our metal building kits come with all the building materials you’ll need for installation, including:
- Square steel tubing members and supports
- Roofing panels and optional side paneling, all in your choice of colors
- All needed fastening hardware, nuts, & bolts
- All needed building anchors
- Any chosen roll-up doors, walk-in doors, and windows
- Optional trim, vapor barrier, and insulation solutions
Got questions? Get in touch with one of our friendly Carport Central building specialists, and we’ll be happy to walk you through all the metal building kit details.
Let Carport Central provide your perfect steel riding arena
When it comes to metal building solutions, there’s really one clear name to trust: Carport Central.
All of our metal buildings are manufactured in local American facilities, and we’re proud to help support the American steel industry. Here are a few more reasons why you can trust us for all your farm, ranch, commercial, and residential metal building needs:
- We’re the top online metal structure provider in the nation, installing in 46 states.
- We’ve partnered with numerous farmers, ranchers, agricultural enterprises, businesses, and homeowners.
- Want to design your own perfect custom metal building? Our 3D Building Designer is a simple-yet-powerful online tool which allows you to design your OWN ideal steel building on any computer, mobile device, or smartphone, right from the comfort of your own couch.
- Delivery & installation is INCLUDED with your metal building purchase, at no extra cost.
- You can also choose to install one of our custom metal building kits yourself for an additional discount.
- We offer THE BEST financing and rent-to-own options in the business.
- Nobody beats Carport Central’s standards of positive customer experience and attentive customer service!
At Carport Central, What’s Central to You, Is Central to Us. We provide shelter for your way of life.