What is a single slope roof, exactly?
Most common building roofs take a pitched approach with a peak in the center, but single slope roofs have been around for quite a while as well. Traditionally, single slope roofs have been found on building extensions or annexes, and are particularly popular for use with combination garage buildings. But a single slope garage isn’t the only way to make use of this building design.
In fact, it’s become more common to see entire barndominiums and single-family homes constructed with single slope roofs. Single slope or monopitched roofs are also popular for many other applications, ranging from baseball dugouts to commercial storage units.
The slope of the roof itself can vary, based upon the design of the building and the particular construction materials used. But steel paneling is the most common choice for covering a single slope structure.
A single slope roof is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. It’s a roof with one continuous slope, mounted so all precipitation is directed towards one end of the building. Single slope roofs go by various names, including monoslope, mono-pitched, and shed-style roofs.
What are the benefits of a single slope metal building?
There’s lots to like about steel-framed and steel-covered buildings in general. Steel structures alike those provided by Carport Central are rugged, tough, cost-effective, fully customizable, and easy to maintain. But what are some specific benefits of going with a single slope roof metal building?
- Effective precipitation shedding—One of the main draws to a single slope building is its known efficiency for shedding both precipitation and debris to one side.
- Cost-effective construction—Because the single slope design is simpler and requires less material, these buildings can often be constructed at a lower price point than other comparable structures.
- Distinct appearance—Want your building to stand out visually? Interested in going with a more modern look? A simple slope approach works great for both residential and commercial building applications alike.
- Natural lighting possibilities—Not only can you place windows around the sides of your building, but with a simple slope roof it’s easy to put windows on top too. By choosing to add some skylights, you can take full advantage of natural lighting possibilities in your location.
- Ideal for adding solar—And speaking of the sun, you can do more than just let the light in. With a single slope metal building, you can also harness the sun’s energy to generate electricity. Solar panels are relatively easy to mount to a monoslope metal roof.
Customize your single slope metal building
Think a single slope building has to be boring? Think again! There are lots of ways you can personalize one of these custom steel structures, in order to get the exact metal building you both want and need.
- Building dimensions – How big of a building would you like to have? How big of a building do you really need? With Carport Central, you decide the final dimensions of your structure, including width, length, and height. And if you happen to have any special design considerations, we can help with those, as well.
- Steel gauge – You could choose a smaller single slope building that’s framed with 14-gauge steel tubing, or you can also upgrade to a thicker 12-gauge that works well for larger buildings or commercial applications. You’ve got options when it comes to the thickness of your roofing and paneling steel, too. A thicker gauge of steel will provide for better structural integrity.
- Doors & frame outs – What types of access points does your metal building need? We offer a variety of frame outs, roll-up doors, and walk-in door options.
- Windows – Want to add some windows to your metal structure? We’ve got you covered there too, and you get to decide where you want to place them around your building.
- Colors – Who says a single slope metal building can’t look distinctive? You have the ability to choose from a full palette of colors for the roof, side paneling, and trim work. Prefer to go with an attractive two-tone wainscot? You can do that, too.
- Anchors for many foundation possibilities – Some prefer to install over a poured foundation, but you certainly aren’t limited to that. We have a variety of anchors we can use to secure your new building to most any type of foundation surface, including concrete, asphalt, gravel, and even plain level ground.
- Certification – Do your local building codes call for building certification? We can meet those requirements, and can certify your building for any needed wind and snow loads.
The many applications of a single slope metal building
How can you use a single slope metal building? There really aren’t any limitations. It’s completely up to your imagination!
- Lean-to addition – One of the most common uses for a single slope structure is to add some additional covered space to an existing structure. Lean-tos are a great solution for that need, but that’s not the only use for a single slope structure.
- Storage buildings & storage units – Single slope buildings make excellent personal storage buildings, and they work equally well as commercial self-storage units. We’ve installed quite a few of these at Carport Central, and we’d be happy to help you get what you need, too.
- Single slope garage kits – There are lots of great designs for a metal garage, and one of those worth considering is the single slope roof building. We can have a custom single slope garage kit fabricated to meet your exact needs.
- Office buildings – If you need to create some office space for a single business, or are looking to build a larger office facility to rent out, a single slope building design can meet your needs in a cost-effective manner.
- Loafing sheds – We mentioned that lean-tos are popular uses for single slope building designs, but single slope loafing sheds are equally popular for agricultural needs.
- Single slope warehouse & industrial buildings – Single slope structures aren’t just for smaller applications. Need a really big addition for warehousing, storage, or other industrial-grade needs? Carport Central has designed and installed plenty of these types of buildings, as well.
Planning and maintenance for a single slope building
If you’re making plans to install a single slope building on your residential or commercial property, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Choose a site that’s easily accessible for the installation crew.
- Make sure your installation site is cleared of any debris, and has been made level ahead of time.
- After your building is installed, you’ll want to conduct regular roof inspections with each changing of the seasons. With a steel structure, damage is unlikely, but you should still check for any residual water issues or potential weak spots.
- Don’t plant or allow any tree growth within six feet of your building. That’s the best way to prevent any tree-related damage, and to keep your roof gutters clear and in working order.
- After storms, check to see whether any debris has made its way onto your roof, and if so, promptly remove it.
- If you’re in an area which receives heavy snowfall, you should also plan to remove any excess accumulation from your roof. While our steel structures can be certified to handle minimum local snow load requirements, it’s still a good idea to do your part to mitigate any undue stress to your building’s roof.
Single slope building cost
So, how much will a single slope metal building cost? The answer to that depends upon some key considerations, including the specific building dimensions (width, length, and height) you choose, as well as which building customizations you decide to include.
For example, a fully-enclosed single slope building will cost more than an open-air lean-to, since you’ll need to include side paneling, doors, and possibly some windows. Upgrading the steel framing and paneling gauges, adding optional trim, and having your building engineered to meet local wind and snow load certification needs will all play a role in final pricing, too.
But no matter which type of single slope building you decide upon, a custom metal structure from Carport Central is still one of the most cost-effective building solutions you can choose. If getting the most bang for your building buck matters to you, then going with a steel structure is really the best choice.
You can install your own single slope metal building kit.
Here’s another good reason why it makes sense to partner with Carport Central. We’re happy to deliver and install your custom-designed single slope metal building at NO extra cost with building purchase. But if you like to save a little money wherever you can by doing things yourself, we can help you with that as well. We’re pleased to make custom DIY metal building kits available. The quality of the building components meets the same standards as with the buildings we install ourselves; the only difference is that you can pick up your own custom-manufactured metal building kit and install it yourself for a discount. Our metal building kits come with all the building materials you’ll need for installation, including:
- Square steel tubing members and supports
- Roofing panels and optional side paneling, all in your choice of colors
- All needed fastening hardware, nuts, & bolts
- All needed building anchors
- Any chosen roll-up doors, walk-in doors, and windows
- Optional trim, vapor barrier, and insulation solutions
Got questions? Get in touch with one of our friendly building specialists at Carport Central today, and we’ll be happy to walk you through all the details of purchasing a custom metal building kit.
Let Carport Central provide your perfect single slope metal building!
When it comes to metal building solutions, there’s only one name to trust: Carport Central.
All of our metal buildings are manufactured in local American facilities, and we’re proud to support the American steel industry. Here are some more reasons you can trust us to meet all your residential, agricultural, commercial, and industrial metal building needs:
- We’re the top online metal structure provider in America, currently installing in some 46 US states.
- We’ve partnered with countless homeowners, business owners, and enterprises to get them the exact metal buildings they need.
- Want to try your hand at designing your own perfect custom metal building? Our 3D Building Designer is a simple, easy-to-use online tool which allows you to design your OWN ideal steel building on any computer, tablet, or smartphone, right from the comfort of your own couch.
- Delivery & installation is INCLUDED with your metal building purchase, at no extra cost.
- You can also opt to pick up and install one of our custom metal building kits yourself for an additional discount.
- We offer THE BEST financing and rent-to-own options in the entire industry.
- Nobody beats our high standards of positive customer experience and attentive customer service!
At Carport Central, What’s Central to You, Is Central to Us. We provide shelter for your way of life.