21st Century Farming in America Looks Very Different Than It Did Just a Few Hundred Years Ago
Farming in America has come a long way over the past 300 years, thanks in large part to improvements in technology and engineering. Before the Industrial Revolution, farmers and ranchers essentially had to put in hard labor from sunup to sundown, six days a week, just to keep everything going. But thanks to advances in technology, farm design, and transportation, we were able to advance to a state where much more work could be performed and much more food could be produced with much less needed labor.
As recently as 100 years ago, over half of all Americans were still involved in farming full-time or part-time. That’s no longer the case today. Agribusiness is still big business, but it’s become incredibly efficient. Only about 2% of the American population can now be considered as professional farmers. But what’s truly impressive about this statistic is that those 2% essentially help feed the other 98%!
Modern Farming Calls for Modern Metal Farm Buildings
We’re not just talking about any old type of metal farm buildings. In particular, prefab steel buildings make the best solutions for farm and ranch applications. What makes a steel farm building better? Here are just a few key reasons:
- Farming happens outdoors, which means that weather and moisture are constant threats. This also means that you really need a reliable way to keep your farm equipment, feed, seed, etc., dry, safe, and secure. Steel barns, sheds, and agricultural buildings don’t have the same moisture concerns that come along with owning wooden structures. Steel framing and paneling won’t rot like wood, and steel buildings offer much more reliable protection from storms, lightning, and other weather extremes.
- Termites are a perennial threat to wooden barns, but they can do no harm to steel. In fact, you really won’t have any worries with any common pests, including insects, rodents, or any other critters. You’ll have fewer fire concerns with a steel agricultural building, too – steel is naturally incombustible.
- There are other advantages that come with choosing steel construction besides its sheer strength and resilience. Steel is more flexible and versatile than you may realize when it comes to building design, customizability, and application potential. Steel buildings are easier to expand or adapt than traditional wood construction, and can grow with you as the needs of your agricultural business change over time.
- Performing maintenance on a steel farm building is much simpler than what’s required for a comparable wooden structure. Who wants to have to repaint or restain a wooden barn or other stick build every few years? Steel buildings don’t require regular refinishing, and cleaning a metal farm building is a breeze. In most cases, you can just hose it off and hose it out, and you’re good to go! And whenever it’s time to do a little more in-depth spring cleaning, a pressure washer usually does the job quite nicely.
- Last but not least, steel farm buildings are cost-effective. Not only are steel structures cheaper to build per square foot and cheaper to maintain, but they’re typically less expensive to insure, too. In other words, you’ll save money over the entire service life of your building!
Popular Uses of Prefab Metal Buildings on the Farm or Ranch
More and more agricultural business leaders across America are taking advantage of having sturdy steel buildings installed on their farms and ranches, as well as for other residential and commercial uses. Here are a few ways we’ve seen our customers and clients make use of custom metal buildings from Carport Central
- Protected shelters for farm & agricultural equipment, including combines, tractors, attachments, and various farm vehicles
- Warehouse space and workshop space
- Dry storage for feed, seed, crops, and other farm supplies
- Horse barns, hay barns, and covered riding arenas
- Livestock shelter, as well as livestock breeding and production
- Commercial facilities for agricultural endeavors, as well as for gas and oil field operations
- Office and administrative space
- Lodging space for both permanent and temporary staff
- RV covers and RV parks
- Carports, garages, and shelters for ATVs and other farm vehicles
- Fully customized barndominiums and metal building homes
- And much more!
Need a Reliable Steel Building for Your Agricultural Business? Carport Central Has You Covered!
While American farming has gone industrial in scale in many respects, the fact of the matter is that the large majority of U.S. farms are still owned and operated by families or individuals. No matter where you find yourself on this spectrum, Carport Central is here to help!
All of our metal buildings are manufactured in a local American facility, and we’re proud to help provide American steel industry jobs. Here are a few more reasons why you should choose to partner with Carport Central for your farm metal building, commercial metal building, and residential metal building needs:
- We’re a top online metal structure provider that installs in 46 U.S. states.
- We’ve partnered with numerous farmers, ranchers, agricultural enterprises, homeowners, and other businesses.
- Want to design your own perfect custom metal building? Our 3D Building Designer is a simple-yet-powerful online tool which allows you to design your OWN ideal steel building on any computer, mobile device, or smartphone, right from the comfort of your own couch.
- Delivery & installation is INCLUDED with your metal building purchase, at no extra cost!
- Interested in installing your own custom metal building? Choose one of our custom metal building kits, and receive an additional discount!
- We have the best financing and rent-to-own options in the business!
- Nobody beats Carport Central’s standards of positive customer experience and attentive customer service!
Carport Central is about much more than simply selling you a metal building; we’re really about Providing Shelter for Your Way Of Life. Reach out to us online, or simply give us a call at (980) 321-9898, and let one of our friendly building specialists show you the Carport Central difference!
Carport Central: What’s Central to You, Is Central to Us.